Serves 8 -10
21⁄3 cups plain flour (all purpose flour) 3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp flax seed powder
3 tbsp water
1 tsp salt
1⁄2 cup dried fruit (raisins, prunes,sultanas etc) or mixed peels
1 tspn orange zest
1 tsp instant dry active yeast
3⁄4 cup warm milk
5 tbsp butter
1⁄4 tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
1 tbsp milk
butter for greasing
blanched almonds slices extra flour for dusting
350 gms Milk Chocolate
1. Mix flax seed powder and water. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
2. Put flour, sugar,salt, baking soda and yeast in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the flax seed mixture and milk to the flour. Mix the dough on
medium speed on your dough kneading machine or by hand for 6-8 minutes or till the dough is smooth and elastic. Add a little flour if the dough is too sticky. Don’t add too much, add about a tablespoon first.
4. Add the butter little by little and knead the dough on medium speed for another 5-7 minutes or by hand. If you are kneading the dough by hand, then you may need to add a little extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
5. Lightly grease a bowl. Form the dough into a ball and place it in the bowl. Cover the bowl and place it in a warm area. Let the dough rise till it is double the size or 1 hour.
6. Grease a bundt pan lightly.
7. Gently knead the dough and add the mixed peel or dry fruit and zest. Knead it into the dough.
8. Roll the dough into a ball. Make a hole in the middle of the dough.
9. Place the dough in the bundt pan.
10.Put the pan in a warm place and let the dough rise till its double the size
or for 1 hour
11. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Keep a piece of aluminium foil to cover the
12.Brush the top with milk.
13.Bake the bread in the oven for 25 -30 minutes or till a knife or skewer
inserted in the bread comes out clean.
14.Check the bread after 10 minutes. If the top has become brown, cover the
pan with the foil and bake for further 15 -20 minutes.
15. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
16.Remove the bread from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack.
17. Once it has cooled down completely melt the milk chocolate in the
microwave till its smooth .
18. Flip the loaf upside down and pour the melted chocolate evenly,covering
the entire bread (except the bottom of the bread)
If you are using dried fruit like raisins, prunes, etc, soak it overnight in brandy or orange juice.Drain out the excess liquid before using the soaked fruit.
Can add chocolate chips or cocoa powder to the dough.